An independent insurance agent is able to give you choices, whereas an online provider may be limited to a particular brand of insurance. Since independent agents represent a variety of brands, they're able to offer you an array of options to fit your insurance needs. Instead of getting one quote for your homeowners insurance, they can provide you with multiple quotes to compare. They will also give you the carrier's financial rating and let you know how they respond to claims.
An obvious advantage of going through an independent agent is that you can most likely have all your coverages in one place. In some cases, bundling your insurance policies may be able to save you money. An independent agent will be more likely to get you a custom-made policy rather than a cookie-cutter plan that might fall short of your family's needs.
3. Personal Service.Independent agents will talk to you face-to-face and get to know you. Generally, independent insurance agents at the Lake of the Ozarks are vested members of the local community. These agents are committed to their work and will act as your advocate when needed. Most importantly, independent agents are licensed professionals. Providing excellent customer service is key. Since they are invested in the community, they can be trusted to handle your business and you can count on them year after year.
Claim assistance goes along with that personal service. If you bought insurance from the guy in the corner of a call center, who do you call when you need help filing a claim? Independent insurance agents will likely be able to suggest a trustworthy body shop, home contractor or other repair service that you need.
5. Annual Coverage Review.
Your insurance needs will change as your life changes. Working with the same, local agent over time allows him or her to suggest products that make sure your possessions and family are protected in every stage of your life. Also, if your insuring company terminates coverage at renewal or your annual premium jumps, an independent agent will shop around to find another comparable company for you. There's no need to find a new agent!
While technology is indeed quick and easy, it can also be bland and confusing.
Some of the common pitfalls of online insurance programs include:
- No office
- Lack of personal relationship
- Difficulty navigating insurance company phone system or website
- No duty to advise a policyholder of coverage adequacy
- Financial ratings not always disclosed
- No personal advocate to act on your behalf
- Lack of knowledge when dealing with call centers
- Insurance is state-specific and not all online insurers provide your state's benefits
Buying the wrong insurance could effect every day for the rest of your entire life. Remember that next time they tell you to save 15% in 15 minutes. Instead, call Insure the Lake at 573-348-2794. We can take care of all your home, auto, health, life and business insurance. Our goal is to meet with clients about their specific insurance needs and how to best protect them!
Contact Insure the Lake today for all your Lake of the Ozarks insurance needs!
About the Author: Steve is a double back-flip insurance ninja. He was named Young Insurance Agent of the Year by the Missouri Association of Insurance Agents in 2010 and is a Certified Insurance Counselor. When he is not helping customers, he enjoys community service, Latin dancing with his beautiful wife and going on adventures with his two awesome sons.
Steve Naught, CIC
3736 Osage Beach Parkway
Osage Beach, MO 65065
Next to Golden Coral