Friday, September 30, 2016

RV Insurance 101

Do you own an RV? Have you thought about purchasing one to travel across the country in? Just like with cars, you need insurance to protect your investment in an RV. In today’s blog, Insure the Lake takes a look at RV insurance coverage.  

Types of RVs

Recreational vehicles, or RVs, include a variety of vehicles, from camper vans to bus conversions. These vehicles are divided into three classes: Class A, Class B and Class C. Here’s a brief overview of each of these classes: 

Class A: Vehicles in this class can be up to 75 feet long. It includes models such as the luxury coach, converted bus and motor coach.

Class B: Vehicles in this class do not have a cab-over and are the smallest of recreational vehicles. This class includes cargo van type designs, travel trailers and camper vans. 

Class C: Vehicles in this class include use of a standard cargo van as the driving portion of the RV and the camper portion extends over the cab area. It also includes fifth wheel vehicles.

What is RV Insurance?

RV insurance is very similar to auto insurance. It protects you from excessive out of pocket costs in the event of a loss or if you are at fault in an accident. If your RV breaks down on the side of the road, the insurance can also provide compensation for your expenses. Your RV insurance will be dependent upon the class of your vehicle, as well as how much you use it, whether you live in it full time, your driving history and claim records, your limits and any additional coverages you select. RV insurance is extremely important, not only because of your large investment, but also for liability purposes. Large vehicles like RVs can cause major injuries and significant damage to other vehicles and property when involved in an accident.

RV Insurance Coverage

Just like with auto insurance, there are a variety of different policies to choose from that can include comprehensive, collision and liability coverage. In addition, you can choose extra coverage for your personal belongings on board, as well as equipment and attached accessories. Additional coverages can include: total loss replacement, campsite and vacation coverage, emergency expenses, towing and roadside coverage, full-timer coverage and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

To discuss your RV insurance needs, give Insure the Lake a call at 573-348-2794. From home and auto to life and business insurance, our independent insurance agency at the Lake of the Ozarks is here for all your insurance needs!

Request a Free Quote Online! Contact Insure the Lake today for all your Lake of the Ozarks insurance needs! 

About the Author: Steve is a double back-flip insurance ninja. He was named Young Insurance Agent of the Year by the Missouri Association of Insurance Agents in 2010 and is a Certified Insurance Counselor. When he is not helping customers, he enjoys community service, Latin dancing with his beautiful wife and going on adventures with his two awesome sons.

Steve Naught, CIC
3736 Osage Beach Parkway
Osage Beach, MO 65065
Next to Golden Coral