Here are some things you can do in advance to be prepared in the event of a tornado warning in your area.
- Have at least three days' worth of food and water for your entire family stored in a cellar, interior closet, or other safe place.
- Have a To Go Bag ready at all times.
- Know all the safest shelter locations, e.g. a bathtub or a closet. You may be visiting friends, out shopping, or at the park when a tornado hits. Know how to be as safe as possible wherever you are.
- Have flashlights, oil lamps, and other sources of light. Extra batteries are a must.
- Have a cell phone charger. During tornado season, always have your phone charged. In the event of a power outage, it's a good idea to invest in a portable charger and keep it fully charged at all times.
- Stay informed by downloading a local TV or radio station weather alert app or subscribe to receive weather alerts via text message. Police and fire departments may also offer this service.
- Have family drills so everyone knows what to do and where to go. Have an occasional drill in the middle of the night. Tornadoes don't always happen during the convenient daylight hours.
Request a Free Quote Online! Contact Insure the Lake today for all your Lake of the Ozarks insurance needs!
About the Author: Steve is a double back-flip insurance ninja. He was named Young Insurance Agent of the Year by the Missouri Association of Insurance Agents in 2010 and is a Certified Insurance Counselor. When he is not helping customers, he enjoys community service, Latin dancing with his beautiful wife and going on adventures with his two awesome sons.
Steve Naught, CIC
3736 Osage Beach Parkway
Osage Beach, MO 65065
Next to Golden Coral
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA