- Keep windows, porches, and doors visible to neighbors and passersby. Intruders are less likely to attempt a break in if they risk getting caught. Trim down any overgrown bushes or tree limbs that may offer potential hiding spots. If you have a neighbor that you trust, let them know when you're planning to travel and ask them to keep an eye on your home while you're away.
- Keep blinds and curtains closed while you're away to avoid "window shoppers". If someone can look straight into your living room and see your 60" flat screen TV on the entertainment stand, you're inviting intruders to shop your home.
- Don't advertise new purchases. When you just set out the box for the new TV you just bought at the curb next to your trash receptacle, you're letting everyone who passes by see you've got valuables for the taking. Break the boxes down and bag them with the rest of your trash, or dispose of them somewhere other than your home garbage can.
- Install motion-sensor lights. Allowing your home to sit in the dark offers plenty of opportunity for an intruder to stroll right up to your house and gain entry without anyone noticing. Another option to consider is checking with your electric company about having a dusk light installed in your yard.
- Set timers for indoor lights and TVs or radios to come on while you're away. It will help to give the illusion that someone is home. Intruders are less likely to risk breaking in if they think someone is home.
- Reinforce entryways. Make sure your doors are solid and of good quality. Install a deadbolt, and replace standard strike plate screws will longer industrial grade ones for added security. Check and lock all windows and doors before leaving your home.
While these things will not prohibit a break in from happening, they will help to deter potential intruders and make your a home less enticing target. For added security and peace of mind, check with your insurance policy provider at the Lake of the Ozarks to make sure your home is insured for such incidents. If don't have homeowners insurance, let us help you get the coverage you need to protect your property. Our goal is to work with our companies to find the most comprehensive insurance coverage for your home at the Lake of the Ozarks for the best price. Now get going and enjoy your spring break getaway!
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Request a Free Quote Online! Contact Insure the Lake today for all your Lake of the Ozarks insurance needs!
About the Author: Steve is a double back-flip insurance ninja. He was named Young Insurance Agent of the Year by the Missouri Association of Insurance Agents in 2010 and is a Certified Insurance Counselor. When he is not helping customers, he enjoys community service, Latin dancing with his beautiful wife and going on adventures with his two awesome sons.
Steve Naught, CIC
3736 Osage Beach Parkway
Osage Beach, MO 65065
Next to Golden Coral
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA